Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Stirrings for Sci-Fi

I'm eyeing some sci-fi at the moment. For some reason been wanting to read something with spaceships again.

But this comes with a bit of a conundrum. I had already picked something out. Heard it mentioned a few places, it started to take a bit of space in my head even. But there's a problem with it.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can go and read Rendez-Vous with Rama without feeling as if I have to read its sequels.

I know the arguments against but I'm still wondering if my compulsive nature will let me start reading this work* and leave it unfinished.

*This work Consisting of the original Rendez-Vous with Rama, the direct sequel novels written by Gentry Lee; Rama 2, The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed, and the 2 novels set in the future of the universe; Bright Messengers and Double Full Moon Night. Making in total 6 novels.

For now I'm argumenting that Rendez-Vous with Rama was written as a stand-alone and that no continuation was originally planned for it. It also seems easier to dismiss it, as the sequel novels aren't actually written by Arthur C. Clarke. I have no special reverence for the man, but this, to my mind, seems to classify it as something else, a completely separate work, even if it starts out from the same basis. The first book also has some sweeping power of its own, and the sequels apparently have a different focus and style, leaning more on conventional characterization. Basically, Just more stories.

Everything seems to point towards; read only the first, drop the rest. But then there's that completionist thing and that other thing where I caught some spoilers about the grand reveal in Rama Revealed making me half convinced this might be just the thing for me.

In any case, I already have Rendez-Vous with Rama in Gollancz's Space opera edition so I wouldn't have to search out a new one. I will anyway though, because as this one is a second hand copy I don't want to work the spine over any more than it already has been.


Also, in my pondering I reasoned that if I just want space opera I could just continue on with my chronological read of the Polity series, which has the Transformation trilogy completed right now. I don't have the third book yet but that's easily fixed.

The currently read Polity-verse

I always enjoyed reading an Asher novel. But I'd seriously need to read a synopsis or two again to remember what it was all about.


Gorgeous Jon Sullivan art.

Here's what I remember:
-Prador Moon: my first introduction to Asher, had that moon thing, which was awesome. And I do remember, because it is pretty memorable.
-Shadow of the Scorpion: had emotional and cool cyborg sex, or was it robots? That war robot had an amazing voice in my head, was based on something, wish I could remember.
-Gridlinked: was emotionless but the story had a cool coming full circle thing.
-The Line of polity, I can not remember a single damn thing of. looking at its cover, this is the orgin piece of Cormac's main antagonist?
-Brass Man: might still be my favourite of the bunch, Mr Crane is such a cool character and Asher's amazing aliens own every other chapter. Genuinely good fun.
-Polity Agent: Dyson Sphere and that's all I remember.
-Line War: Sensory overload. seriously, violence, explosions, lights, cool revelations and a damn good ending to the Cormac arc.
-The Technician:


 "Gabble, Gabble, said the Gabbleduck."

 Just fucking stunning. Scratch Brass Man, THIS is definitely my favourite. Still gives me chills. Both hilarious and jaw-dropping :)

And this is what's next in the Universe reading order. 


For the most part Jon Sullivan art, though I gather War Factory has a different artist.

So, we have the Transformation trilogy up next. Then the Spatterjay trilogy, the Gabble Short stories and then the stand-alone Hildiggers (though given how crucial The Technician turned out to be I kinda have high hopes for this one). Apparently Asher also has the first book in a new trilogy coming out this year, set in the Polity verse as well, as if this isn't enough to be reading.

I've actually made myself excited to be reading him again, but I guess for now I don't have time for a complete Sci-fi trilogy as I still got (self-imposed) deadlines so I'll just pick up something short instead.


Hardly something with spaceships, but it'll do I'm guessing.
I've read the Time Machine and War of the Worlds so the style is familiar.

This one was originally bought around the time when Penny Dreadful was going to expand its menagerie of gothic characters with Dr Moreau. In season 3 however, instead of Moreau, they used Dr Jekyll as Henry's partner, which actually makes a lot more sense.
The island was also quite an important novel in Orphan Black and with that one wrapping up last year I guess it's a good time to go back and binge watch that series beginning to end. Would also be nice to scream 'I have read that book!' at the television this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment