Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Cullen Bunn's upcoming comics

I know, I know. I said this isn't a comics blog, and there I go, post after post on comic books. But who doesn't like some pretty pictures? The reason for this one is that whilst casually browsing online a bit I stumbled on some comics, and got so happy.

Up and coming: Cullen Bunn's Dark Ark


The wickedness of mankind has moved the Creator to destroy the world by way of the flood. Noah has been tasked with building an ark to save his family and the animals of the world. But this is not Noah's story. For darker powers have commanded the sorcerer Shrae to build his own ark and save the unnatural creatures of the world--such as the vampires, the dragons, the naga, and the manticore. But what will happen on a vessel crawling with monsters, where insidious intrigue and horrific violence are the rule of law? From writer Cullen Bunn and artist Juan Doe comes a sinister tale of biblical proportions.

Some preview picture that I nabbed.

Dark Ark's story is already done, I'm guessing. But as I only read trades what I mean is that this one's one to look forward to when it comes out in one.

Cullen Bunn wrote one of my favourite comics: Helheim; a guilty pleasure type of read: Swords, violence, monsters, titillation and mythology. Damn good story too, I hope he continues on with the third and concluding volume soon.

Every book is a story on its own but there's definitely an ongoing narrative which needs some continuation.



These scans are all mine.
The scanner is a bunch easier to use after the initial fumbling.



I'm tempted to do a favourite comics post on Helheim, but as the story's not done
there is still a lot of room for error, even if the road so far has been great.

By Nerub.

No, you know what? I'm just lazy. Helheim was awesome.


Anyway, back to Dark Ark: To find Bunn taking on a biblical tale and giving a dark spin on it is more than just welcome, it is drooled over and anxiously awaited.
I might have mentioned before that, because of my upbringing, anything with a fantastic spin on biblical tales is immediately snatched up and enjoyed. Anything in novel format is ruthlessly analyzed but when it's in comics, I'll pick it up and enjoy it just for what it is. So when I say I'm drooling I am not exaggerating... Well, maybe just a bit, but in any case: Dark Ark will be snatched up on release.

Generally, looking at his stuff (that which isn't superheroes) it seems he always touches on mythology or monsters. I see that he's also got a comic coming out giving a Lovecraftian spin on the legend of King Arthur called Unholy Grail, which also sounds pretty great. A second volume in a series called the Damned, which is something about demons, looks interesting. Regression, which also seems to be about demons, has volume 2 coming up, though a fleeting look at its art style makes me question whether this one'd be worth it. Harrow County is still progressing with no definite ending in sight, though it has been optioned for television already. The final Deluxe version for the Sixth Gun has also been announced: volume 5, which will wrap up the series by collecting issues 42 to 47 plus a spin off series of 5 issues. Still a long wait for that one, but as I've now seen that there's a definite plan for the deluxe editions for the Sixth Gun I might just go ahead and start collecting those. Western horror Apocalypse, what's not to like?

I look further... and then a bomb drops...


The sixth gun deluxe GUNSLINGER edition volume 1.
Exclusively available from Oni Press.


Oh no... It's so pretty.

What the GUNSLINGER (all caps, no idea why but I thought I'd join in anyways) edition does is dress up the available Deluxe editions just that extra bit better (well... Alot better!!!) and present it in a beautiful case tailored and dressed up specifically for the volume it is collecting.




Hideously expensive though. For volumes 1 to 4, all of which are out in this special gunslinger edition you'd have to pay 340 dollars, which translates to around 280 euros.
Not sure what I'll do yet. The problem mostly is that the GUNSLINGER edition for volume 1 seems to be only available on the Oni Press site itself. Which is unfortunate as they're US based and the import tax for this particular order would be enough to slap around a small dachshund all on its own. That and I'm sure the mailman would be more annoyed with me than he already is. I'm not sure I could cope with making him feel bad again.

No comments:

Post a Comment