Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Saturday 3 March 2018

Reprinting the Darkblade Saga

Well, well well. what be this I see before me?


It seems like the Black Library, for some reason pretty much unannounced, have decided to reprint some of their Old World range. Expect some promotional information on the Warhammer Community to suit the occasion, but as of this moment there's not much of anything yet.


Every single novel of the Malus Darkblade saga plus the original comic that spawned it.
For 84 euros that's actually not a bad deal. I'm assuming that they're going to reprint with the second run of covers as shown. 

And if that is true I must confess I'm wondering what the hell is going on.
Why not reprint the whole Darkblade saga in their new Chronicles edition?
 Besides the obvious financial gain, I'm not sure if there's a plan here. I doubt it.
It just makes more sense to republish 6 novels at 11.50 a piece and the graphic novel at 15, than making two new omnibi for 40, collecting all 6 novels.

And as for why not release them as Chronicles editions? 
As print on demand they control the market of course. It beats eating dust because nobody wants to buy a book for 20 euros off of your site if they can get it for 14 on another.

That's the financial side, and why these books:
Malus is one of the Old world's staple characters, and it's an Abnett title, at least initially.
Mike Lee's style has always been more noticable in the novels, in my opinion. But then I love Mike Lee's writing (see Nagash) so this is incentive rather than detriment.


I only read the 5 novels, without the one set in the end times or the original comic version.
They are among the best of the Old World. Very dark and occasionally depraved with some pretty good scheming thrown in, I breezed through the two omnibi in only a few days. As a result I can't remember much of them, so maybe a re-read is in order.

Pre-ordering last from now until the 31st of March, so get it this month if you want it.

-----

Hmmm, the email notification actually has the picture of the first Print-on-Demand edition of the graphic novel. Back then it was 25 euros, and this version is only 15, so I'm guessing that this is the other, earlier version.
Would be nice to have the red POD version though, as I'm still looking for that one as one of the two last Old World PODs that I don't have.



No comments:

Post a Comment