Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Sunday 23 July 2017

Update

I'm trying to take it all a little less serious nowadays, so here's me being relaxed.

What's next on the blog is some stuff concerning Paradise Lost. It'll be a longer project which I'll be dipping in and out of. I've read two out of the 12 books already and I'm looking at how to approach writing about them. I'm thinking a very relaxed way of writing.


Right now I'm reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub, as part of the Terror 8 set of books. Also because I've heard enough about it over the years and guess what, though I'm only 150 pages in, It's very good. I love how it's structured and how the mysteries seem very close to the surface but yet are able to remain just out of reach. It also has complex and interesting characters, though the women seem unanimously unlikeable.

Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age

Gaming-wise I'm replaying a childhood favourite that's just had a remaster. It's quite a substantial difference from the one I played, with updated graphics, markedly better sounding music (which always was one of the best things of the game) that was re-recorded with a new orchestra.
A new trial mode (which I'll see when I'll try it out, if I even do), and apparently there's also new stuff in this one, as it's the remaster of the version of the game that the western release never got.
I have little problems with the game but it still irks me hugely that I can't change the ridiculous dressing choices of the characters. That and Vaan's hideously unlikable English spoken voice.
The Gambit system is complex, but rewarding once you figure out how it all works and the combat starts moving like a well-oiled train.

It's been a while since I've been so involved in a game. Might have been since Metal Gear Solid 5.
The best kind of plain ol' escapism. A whole world to conquer.


I also managed to see Kong: Skull Island this weekend, which was way more brutal than I thought it would be.


It was pretty great but I found that the plot kept jumping between scenes sometimes, which gave me some disconnect with the film. John Goodman and Samuel L. were amazing, as per usual. All of the other actors seemed a little miscast. Tom Hiddleston's posh british accent, in particular, made me gibber with mirth every time he opened his mouth.

Something I did not expect at all were the numerous homages to Apocalypse Now. Very obvious and very, very welcome. Just lovely.

I still might prefer Peter Jackson's King Kong, though. There was something so magical about that movie. And the music is still very beautiful.

Fuck that insects part though.

No comments:

Post a Comment