Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Saturday 27 May 2017

Saviour of Mice

Would you believe I had an encounter with another mouse recently?

Literally crawling for warmth.

I went outside in the morning to clean my shoes and saw something splashing around in the pool.
There were a few moments where my first thoughts were literally 'Do spiders get that big?', 'No they don't get that big', 'Yes, they do, but that doesn't look like any spider I've seen' and then my thoughts went to the house mouse I put outside last week.
Luckily it wasn't him, he remains at large, whereabouts unknown. This was another one; a shrew.
And though it wasn't exactly a taming, and didn't even involve marriage of any kind, it was definitely a saving. (I'm so sorry)

Poor bugger must've fell in not long before. He spent about 5 minutes just literally shaking in my hands from cold, shock and exhaustion, before giving one loud squeek and practically spasming out of my hand onto the ground. Because I was sitting down and staying as still as possible it was okay though.
After that he became quite docile and only ambled off a little while later when I got up to deny him his hiding space beneath my legs.
He ended up crawling back, quite relaxed, beneath the boardwalk.

I can tell you that that felt good.
Like how a benevolent god must feel, just reaching out and helping a creature in need. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment