Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Sunday 21 May 2017

Brutania Chronicles Haul

Alright, a break from the dark stuff.

Look at what finally arrived!


The final Part of the Brutania Chonicles.

So far, the best storyline and, in my opinion, best artwork of the entirety of the Slaine canon.

Have a look at its opening pages.



And if this looks batshit insane to you...
Well, you're not wrong.

Predominately violent, bloody red and blazing yellow (which is literally power Blazing Forth from the mouth of the Primordial) against a backdrop of varying shades of dark and moody blue. Some very impressive work by artist Simon Davis. And that yellow bit from page 2 seems to signify that more flashbacks are incoming.

So far, in the series' long history as an art comic, I haven't liked anything as much I like Simon Davis' run. Not even Bisley's Horned God.
Though Brutania might still be not as good as Bisley's part of the Book of Scars. Small though as that was, it was perfect, and possibly only perfect because it was so small. It was in effect the climax of the 'Horned God' storyline compressed into a small part of  'Scars' and updated, revamped and showered with an artist's patience and love.

Yeah, I love Bisley's part in Slaine's Book of Scars. Who doesn't? Look at it.

Mind-numbing Bad-Assery undercut by the silly antics of Ukko and Nest.

But I was going to say something about Brutania, wasn't I?

 Beautifully painted panels, capable of easily conveying oodles of kinetic energy, the depth to the story, the heightened level of introspection that gives us a more mature take on Slaine.

All of it is just so great.

And it's not as if the more mature take on Slaine does away with the "Hero-talk" or the absurd grandstanding, or the weirder parts of celtic lore. No, the things we've come to expect of a Slaine comic are all still there but this time it's backed up by a weighty and involving narrative relying on the character development of our hero. And he goes far, people.
I don't think his psyche has been given this much attention before and it really makes these books stand out from the rest of the Slaine saga.

I haven't read book 3 yet, as the start of the comic makes it clear that I should go back and read parts 1 and 2 again to refresh my memory.

I'll have to see when I can give it the attention it deserves.
I'm very much looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment