Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Review: Fear Agent (entire run)


I just finished Fear Agent's final arc 'Out of Step'.
I've not read the one-shots collected at the back of Library edition volume 2 and I guess I won't be reading them immediately either. No matter how good they each individually might be, they would only diminish the feeling that Out of Step and the ending to the entire Fear Agent series gave me.

Simply put; it was fantastic.

One Hell of a Ride

A well thought-out, at times completely insane, hard-to-follow plot, complete with alien invasions, time-travel and Mark Twain quotes (who's way more nihilistic than I knew), a story that went and introduced twists and plot progressions that I consistently never anticipated (bar one and that one significant, but it's all about the execution baby), that kept me satisfied and entertained with every page and regularly shocked me with its depictions of over-the-top brutal space weaponry induced violence.

The Last Goodbye;
 an apocalyptic storyline that can stand
alongside any end of the world story you've ever seen.

Main character Heath is both relatable and utterly not so. He is the man you wish you could be. A man capable of anything but also so tortured and guilt-ridden that you find it's best just to observe him going about his business and just be happy that you're not in his shoes. It really isn't fair how much he goes through during the course of this series.

Alcohol dependent and frequent drug induced episodes and yet...
what a bad-ass.

I mentioned Mark Twain before, aka Samuel Clemens, whose more nihilistic ramblings infuse this entire body of work. His quotes always accompany Heath's greatest moments of pay-off or loss.
I found them right up my alley. Nihislim, but from a very human perspective.

Above I mentioned I saw a plot progression coming and the truth is that I originally got an inkling about how this all would end at the end of the second Fear Agent arc.
At first, starting this post, I was going to go in depth about that ending but as everything I could say would constitute a damn spoiler for a tale that really shouldn't be spoiled, I will leave it out and just say that I also love the ending to David Gemmell's Waylander trilogy. Take that any way you like.

The Art, especially in volume 2 is pretty damn good and easy to look at and is kept as close to maximum consistency throughout the entire series. Meaning what you see when you begin is what you'll be getting at the end. The art does noticably get a little finer past volume 1 but I guess what I'm saying is that there aren't any radical shifts in art direction as there usually are in some comics. It's something that bums me out, so I was glad here for the consistency.


So, 32 issues with over 700 pages of  damn good-looking art and clever storytelling.
If you like space comics with an epic, reality-bending storyline, you've already picked this up. If you haven't, go on and give it a chance; it's absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment