Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Reading Update

I've started reading Von Bek and it's already better and more engaging than the two Elric volumes I've read since last month.


It's not that the 2 Elric books were bad, boring or unambitious... They're not.
But still, they did take me a month to read though, both of them together at a little over 600 pages. I've literally read more of Von Bek, in one day (which was last saturday), in a few sessions than I have in any 4 consecutive days over the last month.
I also have no desire or interest to actually talk about the Elric books as they just seem so run of the mill. (though I did end up writing alot: completionist is as a completionist does, I suppose. As a consequence the two elric books will get their own post. )

So then, with that out of the way, about Von Bek.
The first thing that is noticable is that the story's in first person. the framing device and narrative conceit for the story is that this tale has been, not written by but, only translated by Michael Moorcock from an unearthed Manuscript found in the walls of an old monastary.

The second thing you'll most likely notice is the morally ambiguous, selfish and self-centered, very complex hero that puts what I've read of Elric to shame. (though as soon as we get a little mileage with him it does seem like Moorcock just put some dark stuff at the start of the book so he can be continuously noble later on.)

Something that I though was very well done was the build up for the various mysteries all leading up to the big reveal, even knowing beforehand what it is, it being the book's central premise, made me grin almost constantly.

The conversations with Sabrina, including underlying sexual tension, had me riveted and I can honestly say it's more fun than anything I've read in a month. Specifically I want to draw some attention to that part about Eve; you'd think this wouldn't be an original take on the serpent or used as a vehicle for feminism, but it's certainly the first time I've come across this idea.

 And then immediately after that, the lie is given to the lifting up of freedom as a concept and an ideal that everyone should and does strive toward. And I found myself easily agreeing.
It's like that time In The Dark Knight when the Joker equates himself to a dog chasing after cars. "I wouldn't know what to do with one if I'd caught it." A slave to nature, not logical reasoning.

Reading these parts it's like looking at constant barrage of fireworks, especially for me.

Of course none of these are new themes and virtually all of them have been adressed in, say for instance a work likex Malazan, but never just as plainly and clearly, without disambiguation, as here.


It's also that it feels like these themes speak directly to me.
Themes of faith, metaphysics and religion; specifically the variations of and in christianity.
Oh, and despite Ulrich strident complaints of not actually willing to engage in discussions of a metaphysical nature; at this point it's become unavoidable.
He's in the wrong series of books to get away from it.

Also this little quote. A very obvious recognition of the darkness that comes before.




Of course, this also ties into the straying into nihilism stemming from loss of faith that I've been suffering from (or been delivered into). This isn't a recent thing, it's just something that rises occasionally from its dormancy and starts yanking my chain, to drag me down into a dark well.
I suppose it's a goal and purpose thing. Or lack of it.

So anyway, so far, the book is a winner on almost every level for me.

Also. I saw a mouse when I came down the stairs this morning.

A terrified little creature, blinded by the (flash)light of a higher being.
Serves him right for keeping me up at night.

I gave him some cheese though, so it's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment