Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Monday 27 February 2017

The Bad Day and Heavy metal Dredd


I had a pretty shitty day.
When the worst was over, I had some rum and Played some Metal Gear Solid 5, which is after about 80 hours still alot of fun. I'm less than halfway, taking it really slow and currently trying to find a way to wash the blood off of my face.

The Horror... The Horror!

I mostly enjoy the music and finishing up secondary objectives and generally stalling before I continue with the next storyline mission.
At around 8 (20:00) when it was too early to start exercising I got a little frustrated with the game.

In need of some relaxation I picked up what seemed to be an accessible read.
Accessible and next on the reading list of course. I'm talking about Heavy Metal Dredd.
For some reason a heavy metal magazine in the 90's comissioned some Judge Dredd strips filled with metal or rock references and no holds barred ultra-violence.


I'd heard the violence was over the top and that this wasn't going to be like any other Dredd stuff I had read, but I didn't mind as I'm almost always ok with anything anyway and I like my violent fiction. It also had some Simon Bisley art, which I knew from Slaine's The Horned God storyline, and I liked it reasonably well (Though his stuff in Slaine's Book of Scars is way more better than that). Looking at the index  I saw that less than half had Bisley credited as artist. I saw some Macneil and some fellow I didn't know called Hicklenton, fine I thought, I didn't come here for the art anyway. I bought it because I'm a completionist and this had to be read before the Judge Dredd/Batman crossover, even though it's not canon.
With John Wagner and Alan Grant writing the bulk of the stories It would be okay at the least.



I was wrong.

It wasn't my thing and
I might've read it at the wrong time.


And there were shitty Jokes involving music that I absolutely didn't get. Though I did get a joke where a resident of the Ozzy Osbourne block bites the head off of a Bat-glider.


But the rest is pretty much few hits and mostly misses.

This is some horrific Silent Hill-looking shit.
Bubble head nurse ain't got nothing on this.

That's not to say that it's all bad. And perversely I quite liked some of the extremely violent stories.
In particular "The return of Johnny Biker" for its storytelling gimmick and both the "Monkey Beat" and the "Kiss of Death" stories which were so horrific it felt like they belonged in a horror anthology.
Special mention has to go to "The Night Before Chrismas" which did genuinly feel, barring the blood, like a regular Judge Dredd story.

But yeah, this is extremely niche. It is all like this, extremely violent, offensive swearing, offensive jokes and shitty music references (Sorry, i'm not a metal fan).
If this is your thing or if you are a mega fan of Judge Dredd, you probably already have it, but for most people I can't really recommend it.

Now I'm going to go exercise while I start my re-watch of Black Sails.
One episode each day (presumably) and in a month, on into the fourth and final season.
I'm cautiously optimistic...

Ladies and gentlemen, Captain Flint.

No comments:

Post a Comment