Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Friday 3 March 2017

Book Haul


A very nice book haul. Most have already been read in one form or another, I just purchased those to complete a collection or to back a certain favorite author of mine. And then there are some books or comics which are uncharted territory.

Hellboy v6-v9
I actually already have the 6 Library editions but for some dumbass reason I thought it'd be a good idea to collect the individual Hellboy paperbacks as well.

Mignola Covers

Then there is Abe Sapien 1,


which I'm already regretting having bought.
It's very likely this series will be collected in sumptuous hardcovers by Dark Horse anytime in the future. And now that I've bought this trade paperback, I feel that I have to purchase the rest of the series in matching trades. But you know, for a dark mythology afficianado like myself, you can't really go wrong with the Mignola Verse so I won't complain that much. Slightly creased at the top, though.

Klaagzang van de verloren gewesten. Which is usually translated as Lament of the Lost Moors.
Which is a good-looking hardcover matching the collection for cycle 1, and offers more value than if you'd just buy the 4 individual comics.


I don't know what happened to it, but it looks like somebody took a knife to the spine and I'm none too pleased about that.
I'll keep it though as anything I get I always keep. and if I sent it back somebody would just have to throw it away.

Received from Bol.com.

The German version of Heroes Die, collected in 2 books with pretty great covers. They're certainly better than the fucking HIDEOUS e-book covers for the english editions of the Acts of Caine (Who the hell is responsible for those things? they actively stop people from buying them! Apparently there's a bunch of stuff wrong with them in digital print as well).
Also note the cover blurb from two popular authors Scott Lynch and John Scalzi. Still need to read The Lies of Locke Lamora, now that I think of it.

Ooow yeah!

The Cut-off point for book 1 is "Caine couldn't do more damage if he himself was an Aktiri." which is a pretty nice ironic line to end book 1 on.
I bought these 2 for various reasons; because I love the Acts of Caine and I wish to endorse it and its author Matthew Stover in any way possible, also because the covers looked good and because I was curious as to how the entire Acts of Caine was collected in 2 books (turns out it wasn't, it's just book 1 split into 2 paperbacks, which explains why I didn't recognize the Overworld title) and because occasionally I get excited about doing something and even more occasionally that thing is learning to read and/or speak german. This desire naturally cools by the time my books get here. But hey, never say never.

Oh yeah, go buy Heroes Die!

Then we have the books and comics which will be read sooner rather than get shoved onto my TBR shelf for later.

Leviathan by Ian Edgington.


I was watching some 2000ad youtube videos and this one got endorsed by Mike Molcher, the pr-guy for 2000ad, and some things he said about it made it seem like it would be right up my alley.
I've now found out that writer Ian Edgington has some few other comics (un)officially set in the same universe, all which seem to contain Lovecraftian horrors and some other stuff and as it's just a few more paperbacks from titles that can be read on their own I'll purchase those quite soon.

The "A Land Fit For Heroes" trilogy by Richard Morgan.


I loved the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, Woken Furies in particular with its hints at cosmic horror (that one scene actually, shut up), and since swords and Fantasy is in general just more my thing I thought I'd like this trilogy too. They look like pretty compact books. Gay protagonist and explicit sex. very violent. Sounds great.

Not completely matching spines, but they do actually look
Like they belong together... Maybe?

I also have the lettered subterranean press editions for the first 2 books. which both look fucking stunning. I'm pretty sad because I don't think that Subterranean will ever get round to printing The Dark Defiles. Poor sales, I figure, I mean; I was able to buy the Lettered edition which was up months after initial pre-order, that should tell you something.

This trilogy will be read after I finish off both the Night Angel trilogy and The Kusiel's Legacy Trilogy.
Oh and by the way, Filming has just begun on book 1 of the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy so If you're into Science Fiction with violence and pretty sexy sex (:p), that would be a good book to read or you could just look forward to seeing the adaptation on the small screen later this year.

Now, this one I'm really looking forward to;
Seven to Eternity.



I've been eyeing the Fear Agent library editions for some time now but as I did think that they were a bit expensive I held off. Having heard alot of good things of Rick Remender I looked around a bit in his catalogue and upcoming in 2017 was "Seven to Eternity" I read some of the blurb and when my eye caught sight of "An evil God" I immediately stopped reading and blindly ordered it.
Seven to Eternity was also made by the same collaborative team that worked on Fear Agent. So when I've read this, I'll have a good estimate of how much I would like Fear Agent.

And then there's the prequel to "Your Highness".
Comprising two very short comics, "Knight" and "Dazed",  together having some mild wordplay.


I'm not expecting great things from this one, but I had a good laugh at the movie so I'l give it a go anyway.

Now, no more books to look forward to until at least the end of March.
Maybe Fear Agent and some Edginton? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment