Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Sunday 12 March 2017

Slight Rant

I'm not a good critical reviewer.
Of anything.

Give me some time to get into any form of fiction from any sort of media and I will get into it.

I'll accept it on its own terms and I'll try my best to understand why it all is the way it is.

I'm an analytical sponge and an emotional chameleon. anything anybody says I'll take in and incorporate into my own analysis and rarely anything will ever get dismissed. The more I'm aware of other people's opinions and views and criticisms the more I'll have to say myself. I'm not sure if this can be called plagiarism. Because they do end up my views. They become my opinion.
Sight seen not understood, once seen and made to understand will always be how I will then look at it. When a writer tells me why he did what he did, If I didn't before, I'll understand it then and I will adapt to it, I'll feel exactly what he wants me to feel. The more information I have the more I'll be in tune. It doesn't take effort on my part. Just give me the information and I'll be on your level.
Music in media is an extremely easy way to do this. Games, movies, series... Tug on those strings and you'll tug on mine.
When I watch any type of show I subconsciously take over mannerisms and speech patterns.
Last I was watching Eastbound and Down and I was quite amused and slightly apalled when I realized I was mimicking Danny McBride as Kenny Power's tone, his swearing and sentence structure.

It's like a special power and a blessing, a form of empathy, intensely in the moment. You'd be envious if you knew how much joy and heartache it gives and how easy that it comes to me. and I know that that sounds ridiculous, get off my fucking back, I'm really tired.
That's why whenever I read reviews I tend to become a little angry and mystified when the viewer or reader or listener doesn't apprach the experience the way it should be approached.

And here we get to the reason for this little rant.

Wertzone Review: Taboo season1

Adam Whitehead taking the piss out of Taboo is not what I expected to set me off. I have a huge respect for his analytical and critical capabilities and his blog and even in this review I can see all his points and agree with them. (give me time and I'll come around fully, and maybe this is why I got to to this post, a last ditch effort before I can only see Taboo as something to be ridiculed)

Taboo is grim and it's dark and it takes itself very seriously so I do too. so when I see Adam advising that it's only viewable without taking it serious... I just don't get it. The mocking of the hat especially makes me grit my fucking teeth.
Jocular mocking is something that seems to have become trendy in most types of review as of late and I really don't like it. It needs to crawl back into its little neon-lit hipster cave and choke on its dirty hipster socks.

This is a knee-jerk rant. I know. I'm taking it all too serious.
But it's how I do things. I am very serious, to my everlasting detriment. But as long as I'm aware of it I can be cautious about it. So here at the end I'd like to apologise for the low professional standard. And the pretentious and melodramatic phrasing. And the swearing. I apologize for that too.

Have a great fucking day.

No comments:

Post a Comment