Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Thursday 17 January 2019

Lessons From The Goon: Life's Gauge

Here's a bit I've been wanting to share since I first read it.
From The Goon: Once Upon A Hard Time.













Do yourself a favour and go read the Goon.
It's a beautifully drawn comic that has made me laugh out loud more times than I remember (though that was mostly in the first omnibus) and, at times, it had me in tears as well (see omnibi three to five). There's not a lot of comics that can do that, off the top of my head I can think of Saga having gotten the same response out of me, but overall this one's nothing like Stars Wars for perverts (guilty!).
This is comedy-horror, with a little bit of everything thrown in.
 The Goon is outrageous, it's funny and silly, but it goes to some really dark places too. Tonally, it starts out in a very different place than where it ends. It's got a very satisfying overarching narrative with a good conclusion, which will nonetheless be continued on from in some way, shape or form later this year. What that means I'm not sure but I do trust Eric Powell to deliver the goods.

Bring on The Lords of Misery!

No comments:

Post a Comment