Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Thursday 24 January 2019

Books I read in 2018

I'm a little late with this, but this site probably wouldn't even qualify as a book blog anymore if I didn't show you the (small) pile of books I read this year.


I apologize for the low quality, but as I broke my smartphone and haven't gotten around to buying a new one yet I've been reduced to other, older means of taking pictures.

I didn't keep track of the random short stories or the comics that I read this year but I did write down the novels that I immersed myself in. I'll do better this year, but for now you'll have to do with just a list of the novels.
In the order in which I read them:

1. Titus Groan
2. Voice of Our Shadow
3. Sigvald
4. The Island of Doctor Moreau
5. Weaveworld
6. A Dreamer's Tales (Time and the Gods SS collection)
7. The Book of Wonder (Time and the Gods SS collection)
8. The Last Book of Wonder (Time and the Gods SS collection)
9. The Gods of Pegana (Time and the Gods SS collection)
10. Van Horstmann
11. Ignorant Armies (SS collection)
12. The Postman Always Rings Twice
13. Gormenghast
14. Red Country
15. Titus Alone
16. Doomstalker (Darkwar Book 1)
17. (The Epic of) Gilgamesh
18. Summer of Night
19. The Last Wish (The Witcher SS collection 1)
20. Sword of Destiny (The Witcher SS collection 2)
21. The Collector
22. Blood of Elves
23. The Devil's Apocrypha
24. The Exorcist

As you can see, it's been a slow reading year for me. Life intervened, as it usually does, and trouble and personal issues ended up having quite a negative affect on both the blog and my hobbies in general.
As a result I didn't even get close to the reading goals that I had set for myself last year:

- Read 12 Fantasy Masterworks
- Read the first 10 books of the Michael Moorcock Collection
- Read The Mark of the Beast (1/12 FM)
- Read Time and the Gods (1/12 FM)
- Read the Eldritch Tales Short Story collection
- Read the remainder of Paradise Lost
-Read the Gormenghast trilogy
- Read Glen Cook's Darkwar and Winter's Dreams

I read only 2 Fantasy Masterworks, skipped out on Paradise Lost completely and didn't even touch anything of the Michael Moorcock collection, No complete Cook books got read either (that's 'Glen', to be specific), even though I got through 1/3 of the Darkwar omnibus.
I did finish the Gormenghast trilogy though, which I'm pretty pleased with, as it was a daunting project to take on. But I ended up really loving it, probably more than any other books I read last year.

With the abject failure of 2018 reading goals in mind, I'm setting my reading goals for 2019 down here to make myself really commit to it, though I've really kept it down to a minimum as I'm still quite uncertain and anxious about enough things right now that I can barely keep my attention on whatever I want to read these days.

Without further ado:
- Eldritch Tales
- Darkwar trilogy + Darkwar Short Story + Winter's Dreams
- Infinite Jest
-Beowulf + Grendel
- As a God Might Be

That's a very short list, I know,
but I really do need to ease myself back into it in the most gentle way possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment