Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Little-itty-bitty book in the post

After I finished Final Fantasy 12 and its mile-long train of mythologically inspired bosses, silly or otherwise, I looked into getting some literature on one of the more memorable ones, with a name that has resounded in many another game and work of fiction: a name of power; Gilgamesh.

As I tend to be thorough, I quickly stumbled on the Penguin Epics, a smallish collection of about 20 works, which had the epic of Gilgamesh under its many well-known titles (of which I'd only read Exodus).
I thought the series' artwork was striking, and my interest was piqued pretty quickly when I saw how Gilgamesh in particular looked.

I didn't wait long to order it.
Second-hand of course, as these are generally out of stock, though the pricing seems to be rather reasonable.

And when it arrived I found out exactly why so reasonable.


It is pretty with reflective gold spotting, but if you can't tell from the picture above, it wasn't exactly what I expected. When I opened the mail box and saw the package I genuinely didn't have a clue what could be in it, it was that tiny.

 I mean look at how small it is to a modern day epic novel.


Quality over size, I hear you whisper, and that might be the case, but I'm not here to compare the two in what's between the covers. This is just to illustrate how small the book is.
I'm very happy though. It's beautiful, and oh so tiny.

I just can't stress how adorable it is, it's just ridiculous.
It's actually a little bit larger than a standard mass market paperback, but because of its small page count, it just seems slighter.

-----

I've also already read a chapter and though there seems to be occasional repetition, the style is familiar enough to be comforting to this old Bible-reading soul.
I'm not chomping at the bit to read it through in a sitting, but am interested enough to read some pages in the idle moments. Its length is quite inviting too. Short but indeed; epic. They don't write 'em like this anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment