Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Saturday 30 September 2017

The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands, Subterranean Press Lettered Editions

Little disclaimer here: I'm not selling these two.
I was lucky enough to get them way back when and I'm not parting with either.

-----

To go along with my read of Richard Morgan's fantasy Trilogy, here's a little bonus.
The lettered editions for the first 2 books in the Land Fit for Heroes trilogy which I bought in a distant past out of sheer bloody stupidity and avarice.

As far as I know the third book has never been released in a matching edition.
Which is rather a damn shame. I'm still hoping though.


I'm absolutely not a fan of that green case, or even the green reflective lettering.
The appearance of the cases doesn't match at all.

The books themselves though, look absolutely gorgeous.



Also lovely.

I don't know about you, but if the book comes in the case, then I'm not taking it out of it just so the hardbacks can match.
What would I do with the cases then? they belong around the books or so my ocd's tell me.

I hush myself by telling myself that the cases keep the books safe anyway.

Why add blurb to what could have been a stunning backflap?
Obviously again, I have a bias for blue.

Superdark picture but you're not missing much.
Standard blurb, nothing too fancy.

Silver's a good reflective lettering, green is absolutely not...


Look at that shiny leather.
It bears noting that the quality leather finish on The Steel Remains is superior
than that of the Cold Commands

Egar at the front,
Archeth and Ringil in the shadows.


I used some saturization to make the colours pop a bit more.
In the paper it's quite impressive.

The camera on the phone is selective this way though to be honest it's probably just me.

These are indeed in the book.
Some rather memorable scenes.


Yes, indeed.
If the Dark Defiles would be released in a matching Lettered edition my set would be a XXX one.
Naughty.



Throughout the book, between pragraphs, you'll find this symbol.

No spoilers here for who these dudes are.
Memorable and yet... ordinary?




I love, love, LOVE the blue finish on this one's artwork.


The changeling, anyone?


2 comments:

  1. Doesn't the symbol between paragraphs indicate a change in P.O.V narration-wise? ( I'm guessing you already knew this , or I could be completely wrong )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PoV changes happen whenever a new chapter begins. There's a sequence to it, Ringil, Archeth, Egar, Ringil and so on, but later in the book when the pov's come together and they start to overlap this might indeed be the case, I'm not sure!

      Delete