Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Pleased with the Chronicles and yet... angry too

Haha, here's a spur-of-the-moment post because I'm retroactively very pleased with the earlier upcoming warhammer chronicles post as I now have confirmation that pretty much everything I said in there was spot on.
The jury is still out on the Champions of Chaos and the Von Carstein omnibi but I guess I can wait a while longer.


It's the old omnibus format, in case you're wondering.

Bonus picture: side by side comparison with previous editions.


Never did like Bearded Sigmar, his hair just looks so lanky.
Jon Sullivan's depiction is spot on however. Anatomically excessive musculature but hey. This is Warhammer ain't it? And at least there he looks like his reincarnation; Valten, except more robust... or something.



Exactly what I knew was coming.
I must confess: In a way I'm sad.
I was hoping for a surprise Gotrek and Felix Ultimate super deluxe edition Saga including Resin Axe! 

What? I can dream can't I?



Apparently they're actively trying to tie the the events of the Time of Legends series straight into the Age of Sigmar setting. The latter comes way after the first of course and one can't go without the other, and I can see the marketing strategy at work here... But, you do know this fiction is good enough to stand on its own, right? 

-----

Also,
We never get those steps to godhood that we were led to believe we'd get.
Just another wasted dream, I guess.

It might seem like I'm always supernegative about this.

And that's because I am.

-----

Also also : MAYBE NOT GIVE AWAY THE ENDING TO EVERY SINGLE COLLECTED NOVEL IN THE BACK BLURB, okay?

I mean, fuck, guys:
"Ooh, this novel seems interesting, what's it about? Ah I see. Guess I don't need to read it then."
*puts the novel back on the shelf*

This problem shines a light on exactly what I was talking about. This novel has been purely designed for those people coming into Old World fiction from their brush with the Age of Sigmar.

Games Workshop.
I know you don't care about the dead horse anymore except if you can flog it to make some quick cash off of. But I'd really like it if you would give it some more respect.
Because, you see, I really did like that horse.
And seeing you slapdashedly build a new horror-horse-homonculus off the back of the other's corpse has made me more than slightly annoyed.

And for those people still baying that the old world fiction is still there for me to read it if I wish and that I shouldn't give the new setting so much stick for doing away with the old one or some such nonsense:

They killed my world, sir or madam. More specifically they killed my fiction.
I was always only here for the fiction. (so fuck me I guess huh?)

My currently Read Warhammer Fantasy collection.
There's a good chunk of Heresy and other 40k novels still below this.
And my unread novels are cowering in the dark on another shelf entirely.

Every warhammer novel I've ever read, every happy ending,

(and believe me, there were quite a few because despite its grimdark label
the enormous majority of these novels took place on the brink of the hypothetical 'end times',
but Warhammer Fantasy was never as fucked as 40k was, never as devoid of hope and the enemy was never completely unsurmountable or invincible.
Ironically the tables seem to have turned there. as Games Workshop have learned from the AoS debacle and seem to be positively implementing their good ideas into the overal plot progression of that setting. And all it took was the death of fantasy...)

every satisfactory conclusion, every final page
because of the End Times now has its happy ending revoked.

It used to be: The book closes but the story goes on because the surviving characters get to waltz on into a hypothetical better or worse future, whichever takes your fancy.
But again, because of the End Times and the ensuing Age of Sigmar setting that goes right out of the window.

Every character you liked and survived dies with the Old World.
And please don't give me that bollocks about being able to be revived by Sigmar as those fantasy sigmarine-things either.

Whatever you say and whatever your argument: You're all slaves to the corporate machine that is Games Workshop.
 They only create this stuff, with abandon and disregard, so they can take your money.
Enjoy it while you can. While this stuff is still right up your alley. Because in the end the hand that now feeds you this tasy candied apple that you love so much will take that away from you to replace it with a banana dipped in honey. And then your taste buds are not going to like it.

As someone who only cared about the fiction. I'm still really bloody sore is what I'm saying.
I do apologise if I upset the people who like where AoS is going.
 I'm just venting.
Given enough time, I'll come around.

-----

Also, also also. I bought this off the bookdepository site for 13 euros.
Because the Black Library site sells it for 20.

Yeah.

There's a slight disconnect with the customer base here.

They're also going to hawk the Gaunts Ghosts Warmaster limited set for 120 euros while the people living in the UK will get to buy it for 85 pounds.
That math just doesn't add up and I'm surprised that there's no outcry against it.
Sure the customer base is primarily in the UK but still:
There should be some justice in the grim darkness of 2017. We're all fans after all.
At least bleed us dry equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment