Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Monday 20 January 2020

Death Stranding

Done, You Bastard.


I both Loved and Absolutely Hated this thing. And I really hope Kojima gets reined in somewhat in future games; because despite of how many hours I spent on it, despite of how awesome some stuff was, despite how intricate the world and lore was, how correct the mechanics were implemented... There was also too much frustration to make this game anything but an annoying memory.


Got the platinum though.


Let me show you exactly what I mean when I say this game is frustrating.
In this mission you have to carry someone on your back from one part of the map to the other.
There's a lot of stress here, and in this particular clip I had just gotten through an area where some enemies had attacked me. I was just trying to get to an area that was far enough away for me to save my game.


Though I laughed out loud at the time, the situation wasn't so funny that I didn't have to re-load an earlier save to undo the damage. There were a lot of times where there was no fun to the fucking-up at all.

But then, as annoying as the game is, I also remember talking to my sister about the story and various events in the game, and what I was describing didn't come across as anything less than spectacularly awesome.

And it is, it really is, Death Stranding is pretty awesome.


But. Even keeping scenes like the above in mind: I hope there won't be another game like it.
Because the 'game' aspect of Death Stranding was the most annoying thing I've played in years.

Great story, awesome moments, okay soundtrack, jaw-dropping perfomances, but My God, such annoying, frustrating, scream-out-loud gameplay: this is Death Stranding in a nutshell.
And Kojima wants to do a game about Artificial Intelligence next?
Oh God.

No comments:

Post a Comment