Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Tuesday 3 September 2019

The Willows, Beehive Books Edition



Well, Hot damn.
Look at that beauty.


The second Beehive Book to grace my shelves is the gorgeous 'The Willows' which collects some of Algernon Blackwood's best short stories. Like The Island of Doctor Moreau, it arrived in a custom-made cardboard shipping box. You're not really supposed to keep those unless you plan to return the book to sender (in which case you really have to have the cardboard box), but who really would want to return this?


The slipcase this time is a beautiful matte black on glossy black rendition of the novel's cover artwork. Pictures can not do it justice, though this is also in large part to my cellphone not being up to snuff. In frustration I switched to a Canon about halfway through. Some of the pictures are over saturated, others suffer from lighting issues. Guess I just suck at taking pictures.


Oh and by the way, since some people were confused about the size of a Beehive Book, here's it together with the trade paperback of the Lyonesse Fantasy Masterwork, which I'll be reading when I finally manage to finish up the Grendel review.





Just like before, loads of work went into the design.  It's again some amazing work from MaĆ«lle Doliveux.


The artwork this time is by Paul Pope, and colourization is by Omar F. Abdullah.
I'm not a huge fan of the pink overtones everywhere, but it does feel suitably surreal.


There's an introduction by Ramsey Campbell, of whom I haven't read a single thing. Which is rather bizarre but I actually checked through some of the Horror anthologies I'd read and he's not in any of them. Maybe I should remedy that.


Besides the titular The Willows short story, the book collects 4 other short stories by Blackwood, but the Willows is comfortably the longest one. It also has the most internal art dedicated to it, I didn't take pictures of all of it, because of vague reasons.








Here endeth the artwork for The willows.


Artwork for Acessory Before the Fact.


Artwork for Smith: An Episode in a Lodging-House.
Lovely little piece.


I didn't include the Egyptian Hornet artwork, but the Man Who Found Out's piece is right below.


There's also an Artist's Note by Paul Pope, and a few words on Algernon Blackwood and on Paul Pope.


As I haven't read any of these stories I'll do a review of them when I get round to the reading.
In the meantime, if you're a fan of great book editions, by now it should be obvious that you should probably put these on your wishlist.




No comments:

Post a Comment