Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Thursday 28 June 2018

Penguin Epics: Beowulf


My second Penguin Epics acquisition; this time it's number 14 out of the 20. I'm reading this one in preparation for the Grendel Fantasy masterwork, which will give an alternate take on the old English epic, which I (for shame!) hadn't read yet.

I've also already finished Gilgamesh, which I found okay, but very repetitive and with a little too much name-dropping without relevancy; a roll-call of Gods and Goddesses without end. But it was a quick read and hugely important in its place in world literature. So, kudos to me; more experience and another book under my belt. Not hugely memorable though.

But Beowulf on the other hand: on page 5 already, I hit a point where I practically squealed.



This little part alludes to an interpretation of what the mark of Cain might be:
God looks at Cain's act, humanity's first murder, and gifts/damns him with a beast's horn, which makes him the father of Monsters. The beast's horn, supposedly, is also what causes his death: Cain, because of the horn, is in a hunt supposedly mistaken to be an animal and then shot to death with a bow and arrow, by a blind man and his something-something grandson. Who upon realizing who it is he has just shot to death, in recognition that Cain's curse will hit his line, claps his hands together in despair and hits his something-something grandson accidentally to death, thus immediately taking care of the curse of the first murderer.

It's pretty incredible to see the link here in this particular text, the most important work of Old English literature. 

I'm glad I picked this one to read next; it's already an interesting and compelling read.

No comments:

Post a Comment