Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Thursday 13 July 2017

Book Haul: Evil is a Matter of Perspective

Here's some pictures of the grimdark villain anthology 'Evil is a Matter of Perspective' for those among you who are still on the fence about buying this book.


Sadly I was one of those people who learned about the kickstarter too late and for the longest time I figured I wasn't going to be able to get one.

Turns out that even though you might not be able to get any of the fancy editions, luckily you can get the trade paperback version still online.

Sooner ordered done than said, I says... or something.

Actually quite a hefty book.




There are about 500 pages of villainy goodness.
Bear in mind though that every single one of these tales is a part of a larger world and most likely ties into an existing storyline somewhere, someplace.
.
If you are a sequential reader you might not enjoy this so much. But if you're looking for a glimpse into any of the author's worlds, you will be well served.

Taking a look at the contents I notice some names I'm familiar with.

-The Broken Dead short story ties into Michael Fletcher's Manifest Delusions universe, of which Beyond Redemption is book 1, the best grimdark book you've never read.
The short story apparently takes place after Beyond Redemption with all the spoilers that entails, so I could go and read it right now If I wanted to but I'm planning a re-read sometime in the future. I'll wait to read this till after that time.

-The Carathayan by Scott Bakker ties into his Second Apocalypse world. I absolutely love his stuff so even if nothing else gets read, this will be.

For the rest, what do I recognize?
-Teresa Frohock's Every Hair Casts a Shadow  ties into her Los Nefilim world which I thought her Miserere (which I read and really liked) was a part of but apparently it is not.

-The Syldoon Sun Ties into Salyard's Bloodsounders Arc which I was going to read this year but which has been pushed back, sadly.
Better than Breath from Stavely's Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne, the same.
Most of the other writers are at least known to me.
Janny Wurts Wars of Light and Shadow is set to conclude one of these years. I've noticed it a couple of times now and it has always intrigued me. Given time I'd love to read it the whole saga.
From what I've caight of Tchaikovsky's Shadow's of the Apt it seemed to weird for me, but the short story's inclusion here gives me pause. maybe I should give it a look.
Marc Turner's story blurb for his first book gave me huge Malazan vibes and his Chronicles of the Exile is one of things I will definitely read. Sometime... I swear. Honest.

Beaulieu's Song of the Shattered Sands might not be for me, though I have a book of his. signed and everything if you believe it.

The rest of these writers I'm not too familiar with.

Take a look to see if you recognize anything.


Also: every single short story comes with its own artwork, which is incredibly cool. And some of these look quite bad-ass.


I don't know what this story is about, but that is definitely Ozzy Osbourne.












Btw, Matthew Ward is the guy who wrote the rulebook lore
for alot of the Warhammer 40k stuff. Surprise!



Ooohw. That is GOOD artwork.




So, yeah. Looking good.

 For myself, I do wish that more of these were stand-alones. Because as they tie into so many big existing worlds already I can't bring myself to read more than a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment